Monday, July 18, 2005

Internet Enabled Crosstrainer

What's frustrating about working out at the gym is that I have no computer and no internet access. This sounds incredibly sad because it gives the impression that I can't go a measely hour without being plugged in. But my path to weight loss began in front of the computer and the television. I finally decided to just get up and move around while I was sitting there doing nada. I would walk around or do basic aerobics while watching television. I had been playing Spades on the Internet, which mostly involves sitting around waiting for the other players to play a card. Rather than sit and get frustrated that my partner and opponents weren't playing fast enough, I played music and did aerobics or danced while waiting for my turn.

But after losing the easy pounds, that home workout wasn't enough anymore. I would run up and down the stairs in my apartment building, but that was much higher impact. I needed a middle ground. My apartment's gym is, shall we say, lacking, so I joined the Y. I like the crosstrainers - they're easy on my joints and really get my heart pumping.

When I jotted down a couple of ideas for blog posts at work today, I realized I wouldn't be able to get to them until after my workout (I don't blog from work). It occured to me that if I could get Internet access on a crosstrainer or even a treadmill, I would work out more. A lot more. Imagine if you spent the time you spend on the Internet working out. Even if it's just 20 minutes a day checking e-mail, that's a pretty good workout. More than a lot of people get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home