Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Airborne Ranger

This is completely random, but the song's in my head. Maybe I can get it out by writing it down. File this under "unique childhood memories".

When I went on walks with my dad when I was a kid, he used to sing this little marching song (tune? chant? Help me out here, Walt...) when he would jog:

I want to be an airborne ranger (I want to be an airborn ranger)
Livin' a life of heck and danger (Livin' a life of heck and danger)
Airborne... Ranger... Heck and... Danger.

He was drafted during Vietnam, but spent most of him time in the military in Kentucky where he took a bunch of correspondence courses and learned how to fix cars (up until a few years ago, we were still using one of the Heathkit TVs he built). So it's possible he picked this up in basic training. I have no idea if this is a cleaned up version of an actual marching song or what, but whatever it is, it gets stuck in my head every time I jog.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

If you care, I believe it's "airborne" as in conveyed via air as opposed to "airborn" as in being birthed in the sky...

4/20/2005 7:11 PM  
Blogger SpakKadi said...

And thus, it is fixed.

4/20/2005 10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask and ye shall receive.

There's a pretty much limitless set of marching and running cadence songs, usually known as "jodies." General themes are disgust with uniformed life, unit pride, and talking shit about Jody/Jodie (that being the typical name for either the asshole who stole my girl, or the girl who screwed me over).

This is a pretty good list; everyone's got one more that isn't listed, or a different version of one.

http://www.vetfriends.com/cadences/index.cfm

4/20/2005 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Airborne Ranger:

I wanna be an Airborne Ranger
I wanna live a life of danger
(repeat)
Count down 1-2
Count down 3-4
Count down 1-2-3-4

I wanna go to Viet Nam
I wanna kill some Viet Cong
(Repeat)

Airborne Ranger
Airborne Ranger

10/16/2005 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home