Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Pockets

Guys, when was the last time you bought a pair of pants, only to find it had no pockets or just one pocket? I didn't think so. You make me sick.

I bought a new pair of pants recently, being careful to select a pair with a back pocket that could hold my wallet. I wore them a couple of days ago only to find there were no front pockets at all. Ugh! I hate women's clothing.

The fashion industry seems to be assuming that women are perfectly willing to put everything they carry with them in a purse. Personally, I'm too forgetful to want to leave my wallet and keys in anything that I could possibly leave behind. If I put them in my pant's pocket, unless someone takes my pants (in which case I probably have bigger problems), I minimize my risk of losing them. I do carry a purse, but I put larger and/or less essential items in it. If I'm not going to work, I could leave my purse at home and not miss it. But that's only because I spend most of my shopping hours looking for women's pants with pockets (oh, and women's shirts that aren't revealing or form fitting and don't have messed up sleeves, but that's another rant). Yes, casual clothing such as jeans regularly have pockets. But more professional clothing, even a step above jeans to khakis, are hard to find with functional pockets. Dockers used to have a style with decent pockets, but I can't even find those anymore. I simply do not understand why this is the case.

For the guys out there who don't understand why I say "functional pocket", let me explain. Women's clothes often have false pockets or small pockets just large enough to hold a business card. To me, these are more frustrating than not having a pocket because the clothing designer obviously acknowledges that a pocket should be there and looks just fine being there, but they don't seem to think that pockets should be used. What the &*#$ are pockets for? Decoration? If the pocket is going to be useless, just don't bother with it. Please. It fools those of us who want pockets and are too tired check closely into thinking one is there (false pockets can often seem like true pockets that have been sewn shut).

Isn't anyone else frustrated by this? No? Just me? Okay then.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember the cargo pants we got you? You know with the nice pink three-quarter length sleeve shirt? I think that they had pockets.

5/27/2005 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, you sure do get a lot of spam. I just wanted to let you know that baby Charles has discovered his pockets. For the past 2 years all of his pants have had more pockets then yours, and he wasn't putting them to use! He has finally started to fully appreciate the gift that he has been given. :)

6/12/2006 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home