Friday, April 01, 2005

April Fool's Day Memories

Ah, April Fool's Day. Here I shall recount the greatest April Fool's joke I ever played... on myself.

My senior year in high school, I had an exam the morning of April 1. I parked my truck (oh, I had such a great parking spot, too. Really. It was right by the front entrance), gathered my stuff, locked the door, and ran inside for some last minute studying. I took my test. I went to my second class. I went to my third class. I went to study hall. It was there that a ninth grader in my study hall approached me and said "Do you drive and S-10?"

"Yes."

"Your truck is running."

Oh, ha, ha, I thought. April... I reached down to my pockets and, sure enough, I couldn't find my keys. I thought back and realized that I had left the truck running so I could listen to the radio while I gathered my stuff. And then I had completely forgotten to stop the truck and get my keys before locking the door and running inside. I remember that my dad had said this truck was notoriously difficult to break into (and, evidentally, easy to get locked out of, since he had this knowledge) and did not look forward to going out and checking on my truck. The teacher gave me permission to go check on my truck. Two others accompanied me, thinking they might be able to get into it if I had, indeed, locked the doors. I walked out to the parking lot and found my poor truck chugging along in its parking space as it apparently had been for four hours. Both doors were locked. Even the sliding window between the camper shell and the cab was latched. After exhausting all of the non-damaging methods of getting into the truck, I went to the office to call my mother. I just happened to catch her on her way out and she drove out, unlocked the door, and retrieved my keys. It had happened to her once or twice, too, so she wasn't mad.

My fourth class overlapped with first lunch, so by the time I had eaten my own lunch and gotten to fifth period, everyone had heard the news. Many people said they had seen my truck running - people who were in several of my earlier classes - yet they didn't say anything to me. Everyone got a nice laugh and I added something to my list of things to be paranoid about. To this day, I still carry a spare key in my wallet because of this. And that truck managed to serve me another 6 years until I gave up on it and bought my Matrix.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

I carry a spare car key and a spare house key in my wallet.

4/01/2005 12:13 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Hahaha wow that's awesome man.

2/27/2006 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home