Monday, September 08, 2008

What's the Plan?

Things have (amazingly) slowed down at work the last couple of weeks. I'm down to doing three things at once, none of which have hard and fast deadlines. I turned off my alarm clock last week and let my body settle into it's natural rhythm, giving my mind and body a chance to resync and enter some sense of routine. Between that, a good round of Sunday basketball, and the beginning of flag football season, I've had my first "normal" week in a very long time.

With things settling down, a coworker with less experience than me but a similar dislike of sitting idle has taken to calling me every day and asking a crucial question: what's the plan? I understand her frustration. I'm a planner. I like plans. They give me a sense of security. A sense of purpose. Even if the plan it to do nothing, I'm fine. So long as that's the plan. Otherwise, I get antsy because I feel like I'm missing something.

But now that my coworker has come to me several days in a row with this question, I feel like I need some more creative responses. I've already told her that one day, she's going to find an envelope on her desk. On it will be written "The Plan". Now I just need to think of what to put in the envelope. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Blank paper
A picture of FEMA's disaster plan
A copy of the Underpants Gnomes' plan
A copy of the Mayor's to-do list
A lengthy tax-form like document that says "burn after completing" on the last page.
A floorplan

See?! See what I'm doing? I'm planning a mockery of plans. It's ironic. Or sad. I forget which.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home