Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Never Say Never!

Or at least, I'd image that "never" is in at least one of the 27 phrases banned by a Russian mayor tired of hearing excuses. Yes, that should help encourage people to speak up and offer solutions! I once had a dive coach who didn't allow his students to say things like "can't" or "won't". The theory was similar in that, by disallowing "negative phrases" you also eliminated negative attitudes. Instead, it effectively eliminated my love of diving because I was too afraid to say anything at all to that coach. Now I fear that mayor may be left with the impression that his plan worked because the only people still talking to him would be yes-men eager to tell him everything is hunky-dory, even when it isn't. Management.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But look at how well it's worked in this country!

- John

9/04/2007 6:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ummm...were we talking about my job?

9/05/2007 3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they hiring?
- John

9/05/2007 3:16 PM  
Blogger SpakKadi said...

Well, I certainly don't run into that at my job. Nope. Never. See how many negative phrases I was able to put in there? Totally acceptable. When I'm not at work. At work, I will learn to keep my mouth shut. Someday. Not. <= Ha! Another one! You can't stop me! Bwahaha! What do you mean no raise? That's a negative phrase! You can't say that!

9/05/2007 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what about double negatives?
Actually, they're not bad.

- John

9/06/2007 6:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They're always hiring. Last year my department had 46% turnover. I am still there, though; you can't kill me. I'm like a cockroach. I just keep coming back. :P

9/14/2007 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home