Saturday, January 21, 2006

Lost in Familiar Territory

Every once in a while, I will see something entirely, mind-numbingly familiar but get the sudden sense that it is, in fact, completely foreign. I most often associate this with the spelling of words (like writing "write" and thinking "that's not how it's spelled, is it?"). But I keep getting this sense in places. I got off the subway the other day where I often switch trains and suddenly felt completely lost. This evening, I got off the interstate and didn't recognize the exit ramp, even though I've taken that exit from that direction at that time of day dozens of times. My subconscious mind pulled me in the right direction while my conscious brain was still struggling to convince itself that everything was perfectly familiar and I wasn't lost. It's very disorienting. Maybe I just need more sleep. Or more caffeine. Whichever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home