Sunday, January 15, 2006

TV Pop-ups

My television has been infected. Everywhere I look, I see pop-up adds. It's not enough that I have to sit through the commercials. I have to put up with the advertisements at the bottom of the screen that inevitably cover up some important detail of the scene. And unlike on the internet, I don't have the option of closing the ad and getting it out of my freaking way.

This is one lesson I wish the networks would unlearn from the Internet. It's ridiculous. TNT in particular is bad. I had stopped watching it for a while for this very reason. But Underworld was on last night, and I wanted to see it again before the sequel comes out next week. There was a pop-up every five minutes urging me to continue watching so that I could see a sneak peek of scenes from the sequel. And each time I saw the pop-up, I wanted to not keep watching just to spite them. If they had added sound effects to the ad (which they have in other pop-ups that I've seen - imagine watching a key dramatic scene, only to hear jingle bells or squealing tires that entirely don't match what you are seeing and actually drown out the dialogue), I probably would have given up. Why should I see the sequel if you won't even let me enjoy the first film? Stupid network.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home