Monday, July 11, 2005

Contemplating Infinity

For some reason that escapes me, I was thinking about replacing one divided by zero with "u" in much the same way we replace the square root of negative one with "i". We could call them "unfathomable numbers" and they could very well contribute to the development of the Infinite Improbablility Drive.

And then my brain jumped sideways, because when I think of infinity, I think of a story from my parents' college days. My mother was doing her math homework and asked my father what an Aleph was. He hadn't a clue, so he made up a story about a white elephant with wings. Many years later (so much later that I was around and old enough to retain the memory for my current recollection), he actually found a stuffed animal that fit his description and bought it for her.

My brain is so random. But, obviously, that's my parents' fault.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home