Sunday, May 29, 2005

Revenge of the Sith

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't post until Monday, but I just saw Sith. And I haven't read any spoiler reviews yet, so this is my untainted impressions. First, let me echo the no-spoiler sections of many reviews so far - it was significantly better than the first two prequels. Plenty of action, plenty of tension, and even some suspense even though you know, ultimately, what will happen.





SPOILERY ACTION DEAD AHEAD! DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED!







I've changed my mind about how I'll do this. I'll introduce you folks to something called a "spoiler tag". Highlight the text to see my review. Are they gone? Okay. My suspicions were confirmed. Anakin was a spoiled, impatient little brat who wasn't getting what he wanted fast enough. Palpatine stroked his ego something fierce, promise power beyond what the Jedi could and would offer him, and topped it off with a dose of "but you would be doing it for her" and voila! Darth Vader. The Jedi, for their part, were inconsistent in their dealings with him. They feared his judgement was clouded by an attachment to Palpatine, they knew he was dissatified with his position in the Jedi ranks, yet they asked him to spy on Palpatine - arguably one of the more important tasks in the effort to end the war and return the Republic to a democracy. Palpatine asked him to spy on the Jedi, but he offered the power that the Jedi denied him.

Romance. I nearly threw up during the second scene between Anakin and Padme. The rest of the dialogue between them just left me vaguely nauseous. Thankfully, the romance was much reduced in this one. I don't entirely buy his motivation of saving her to turn to the Dark Side, but I think Palpatine's ego stroking is a strong enough motivation for Anakin on it's own. However, it does explain why Vader eventually betrays the Emperor to save his son. His family was the only thing outside himself that he truly valued.

Action. Opening battle. Rocked. Closing battles. Rocked. I didn't see nearly as many Wookies or Wookie battles as I had hoped. But Palpatine using the "seats" in the Senate chamber as weapons was very cool. Anakin's physical transformation into Darth Vader? Triple amputation and disfigurment by fire - take everything else out and this still gets the move a PG-13 rating. Not to mention - ouch. I'm surprised Obi-Wan watched as long as he did. As soon as Anakin caught fire, he should have turned and walked away.

And was it just me, or was Obi-Wan enjoying himself a bit too much in the battle scenes (other than his one-on-one with Anakin). Not that I don't mind seeing Ewan McGregor smile, but I thought Anakin was the battle-hungry one.


Oh, and by the way. Palpatine ranks right up there with the Mayor from Buffy as one of the most truly sinister villains of all time. Few would be tempted by evil or the Dark Side if it were completely blatant. Evil dresses itself up. It is polite and patient, offers security in times of uncertainty, and is subtley manipulative, twisting its victims until they can no longer recognize themselves. Bravo to Ian McDiarmid for pulling it off.

Okay, now I get to read other reviews.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Overall I agree with you. Revenge of the Sith was much better then the last two. I wouldn't say that it was my favorite movie ever, and I did find some parts to be a little weak. My expectations were low so this definately exceeded them.

5/30/2005 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home