Thursday, May 26, 2005

Musical Memories

As I mentioned, I've been going through a lot of my older CDs lately. So this article seems timely. Some songs evoked stronger memories than others. Albums that I listened to repeatedly for a short period of time (say, a semester or less) evoked stronger memories because I associated them with a very particular part of my life. When a song from my Duncan Sheik album comes on, I can feel the chill of my dorm room from my freshman year of college. It's kind of freaky. I think of my co-op at Philip Morris when I hear Dido. Sting, oddly enough, makes me think of my grandparents' house because I would always bring my Sting tapes with me to listen to when I visited as kid. And I think I may have finally desensitized myself to Kryptonite by Three Doors Down, which was playing when I was rear ended in my Dad's Saturn at a differential of about 40 mph. I still remember the accident when I hear it, but I no longer tense up.

For some reason, I think of penguins when I hear the Safety Dance, though. Odd, yes? ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home