Thursday, January 20, 2005

Isn't snow fun?

Remember staying up late/getting up early to find out if classes were canceled the next day? Remember sledding in the street because no one in their right mind would drive down that hill? Remember snowball fights? With the Core of Cadets (Hokies only)? Remember watching the snow from inside, knowing that you didn't have to go out?

When I was a kid, 5 inches of snow, even early in the weekend, meant certain school closure (ah, the paranoid central Virginia schools). It meant sleeping in. It meant sledding into the holly bushes in my front yard. It meant exploring an oddly quiet woods and watching my cats contemplate the strange white stuff falling from the sky and sticking to their fur.

Now, it means I have to get up at least half an hour earlier so I can sweep off my car, hoping the door hasn't frozen shut beneath it. It means driving on the Washington D.C. beltway, which is already dangerous, with people who like to tailgate, even when their stopping distances are greatly increased. It means hoping I get to work in time to get out of work before the sun sets so that I might possibly, theoretically be able to stop by the grocery store before the roads freeze. It means my one-year-old car looks like I drove it through a salt mine during an earthquake and it's too cold to wash it off. It means finding five layers of clothing that is work appropriate every day. And it probably means that the worst of the snow will happen in the next two weeks, before I move into a place that has covered parking.

Fun for the whole family! (working adults need not apply)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home