Saturday, December 08, 2007

You'll Learn

More and more lately, I keep hearing the phrase "you'll learn." It's the tone and phrase that people who've been around a while use on young people who are making the same mistakes they made when they were young. But the personality traits people seem to think I'll unlearn I still see present in my father. These are the good personality traits that I'd like to keep around awhile. I'm perfectly capable of being as cynical as the next person, but I try to let my cynicism drive me rather than hold me back. So here's some fodder for Scott Adams and the demotivator guys. Lessons I refuse to learn:

- Hard work is not rewarded nor appreciated, so don’t try it.

- Ditto for loyalty.

- If management doesn’t care, neither should you.

- Never give any more than is asked of you.

- Aim lower. You’re less likely to fail.

- Don’t volunteer. That never ends well.

Phrases to inspire me:

- Success is moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

- Lead, follow, or get out of my way.

- It's easier to achieve something if you don't know it's impossible.

- When faced without a challenge, make one.

- Patience is a virtue but persistence to the point of success is a blessing.

- Whenever there is a hard job to be done I assign it to a lazy man; he is sure to find an easy way of doing it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am deeply touched and honored.

Dad

12/09/2007 9:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” -Robert A. Heinlein

12/11/2007 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home