Saturday, December 02, 2006

TANSTAAFL

I was browsing on Amazon.com today when I noticed a button that said "Get this item for FREE, click here for details." So I clicked for details. Basically, if I signed up for Amazon Prime ($79? I know I don't buy that much stuff each year, unless shipping costs are way up), I would get the item free with free shipping. In order to close the offer, you could click a link that said "No thanks, I'd rather not have free stuff." It reminded me of the Geico ad where the Gecko says, "No thanks, I'm so rich, I think I'll keep my seat." It's a pretty blatant "you're an idiot if you don't take this offer" kind of move. How could you decline free stuff? It's free! And did we mention it's free? To which I say, TANSTAAFL, suckers. Offer DECLINED!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this phrase sounded familiar so I actually went to the link. Good phrase...and Wikepedia's entry is almost obsessive, which I suppose it is for all entries.
-Jason

12/04/2006 8:23 AM  
Blogger SpakKadi said...

A Wikipedia entry? Obesessive? No!

12/04/2006 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had always thought that H. L. Mencken had first used that phrase. I searched on google and found it attributed to many, including Heinlein, but not once to Mencken.

"It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull." - H. L. Mencken

I'm not sure where I fit in this quote, but I'm sure H. L. Mencken said it!

12/06/2006 7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home