Thursday, March 02, 2006

...and that's why I carry a flashlight.

I knew I heard something drop to the floor last night as I sat down to dinner at TGIFriday's. It was a familiar sound, but I could have sworn I checked to make sure I had all my things, so I didn't investigate. After dinner, I went home, took Sudafed and Tylenol for a sinus headache, and went to bed. Sudafed makes me physically tired but makes my mind race. Tylenol disconnects my brain from my mind and also makes me drowsy. Taken together, they allow my body and brain to shut down at the same time. Unfortunately, when they wear off, my brain suddenly plugs back into my mind, which has apparently been worrying all night without me. This makes me wake up. The drugs last 4-6 hours, so I woke up at quarter to 5 AM, unable to go back to sleep.

I decided that I might as well go to work, so I set about gathering everything that I needed for the day. Checking my jacket pockets, I found that my cell phone was not there. It was also not on the table where I had emptied my pants pockets the night before. "Cell phone gone..." my tired brain said. Then it panicked. "... Cell phone gone!" I have no land line, so I had no way of calling it to see if it had hidden itself somewhere inside my apartment. But then I remembered that sound. Clack! Plastic casing smacking against the ground. My phone.

Now, I'm not used to being up so early that things aren't open yet. So it was rather frustrating that I realized where my phone was last night and might still be, but had no way of getting to it. I went to work, trying to figure out I would both remember to go back to Friday's at 11 (when it opened) and not worry about it too much until then. Solution: worry anyway.

At 11, I went to Friday's, explained that I had quite possibly dropped my phone there the night before, and asked if I could check the booth where I'd been sitting. They said sure, but didn't seem to think it would be there. I went back there and looked under the table, but I didn't see anything. I pulled out my flashlight and pointed it under the table. Sure enough, there was my phone, curled up on the floor in the far back corner of the booth, sleeping peacefully. I leaned into the booth and picked it up.

"Found it!" I said as I headed for the exit. The staff was shocked, shocked! If only I had known for sure that it was there, I could have had some fun calling it from my work phone.

ringing
TGIF: (finds the phone and answers it) Hello?
Me: Hello, Neo. Do you know who this is?
TGIF: Um...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For those difficult mornings - or any morning, for that matter - might I suggest 1 or 2 Excedrin when you wake up. Then, just lie still for 15 minutes, or until you feel them kick in. Then, arise and attend to the day. You can keep a tumbler of water and the Excedrin by the bed and set your alarm for 15 minutes ahead of your regular wake up time. (You may want to have a couple tums, or your antacid of choice, at bedside also).

3/03/2006 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home