Sunday, October 09, 2005

Random Silly Stuff

I'm in Virginia today, so I watched the debate between the gubenatorial candidates. Tim Kaine's eyebrow is freaking me out. The static picture simply cannot convey the freakiness of his left eyebrow. It reached nearly up to his hairline at some points while his other eyebrow remained comfortably just above his right eye. I began to wonder if perhaps his right eyebrow was paralyzed. Or perhaps his left eyebrow was possessed, feeding him the answers to the questions. It was utterly distracting. Perhaps it's best I'm no longer a Virginia voter.

On my wonderful 5 hour trip from D.C. to the western outskirts of the Richmond area Friday (the trip normally takes 2 1/2 hours, but Tammy sent everyone skidding into eachother, creating backups for miles), I called 511 to get traffic info. 511 is a voice activated information line you can call for traffic and weather conditions that the Virginia Department of Transportation set up. The voice recognition seems to work pretty well. You can specify roads or counties that you want to find road conditions for. When I called to see if there was anything specific holding up traffic and to see just how far the backup went, I got an incoming call, which I answered. When I was done, I called 511 again and got this answer.

"Thank you for calling 511 Virginia, brought to you by the Virginia Deparment of Transportation. I see that you called earlier. Would you like to pick up where you left off?"

I paused. "Um... Yes?"

And sure enough, it started listing the incidents it was listing before I disconnected the call. Good thing I was sitting still in traffic. That was freaky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home