Monday, April 18, 2005

What English Do You Speak?

Here's my profile.



Your Linguistic Profile:



60% General American English

20% Dixie

20% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern




Though, honestly, there were a couple of questions where I wanted to give multiple answers (like, I'll say "soda" or "Coke"). There was one where none of the answers looked familiar (an easy class is an easy class... I don't have another name for it). There's nothing in there about "nor do I" versus "neither do I". I am continually in search of where I got "nor do I". My sister says it, too, but my parents don't. Best I can figure, she mimiced me. But where did I get it? Too much Star Trek, I tell ya.

Also, my accent changes depending on who I'm talking to. I'll even change terminology if I'm familiar enough with the terminology of the given accent. But the true weirdness? I write a bit British. Ever notice how I spell favourite and behaviour? British accents are also the most contagious. The Girl Scout camp I went to as a kid always had counselors from England, Scotland, Australia, and I think we had one from South Africa. I had to fight so hard not to adopt their accents.

Which reminds me, I still need to finish that book on the English language that I started about 2 years ago...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I scored 55% on the general American, 25% Dixie, and 20% Yankee. I guess that's about right for a Southern border state like Virginia (though southwestern Virginians sound much more Southern). I've noticed that I pick up the accents of others temporarily sometimes, too.
-Jason

4/20/2005 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home